6 years after MBA

I am married, but am still a consultant :)


Most of my friends have achieved greater heights and I do aspire to excel further. The zeal and enthusiasm haven't died, but yes age is catching up!!



When I was diving into my MBA and even while doing the course, I'd think that it is so important to study, learn and contribute. (Not that I have done any of this .. but at-least that was the thought).



Coming from a shy background, where lot of focus is on getting job (It sounds like getting laid ..rt ;) )

and very minimal on social skills, you shouldn't be surprised at my thoughts.


Social skills are an anathema for all of us engineers and continued to remain so, in-spite of the MBA. People, who could communicate and reach out to others, were not considered among the most talented. And, may be it is so, in case of the roles where much of the activity continues to remain stuck to the screen of laptop.



But, with decent number of years in consulting and aspiring farther, I realize how mistaken I was. While I am yet to emulate it effectively I realized that doing financial models or analysing a complex solution isn't the best of the things. There are multitude of people, who can do that much better than myself.

The emphasis on communication, change management, networking is so high in work space that most of the others take a back seat.  Vision, Communication take such precedence over others, atleast in this field. 


I am more fascinated by these, because I may not be the best person in this. I was once told that my both written and verbal communications aren't the best. Not that I am taken aback by that, I know that there is certainly a scope for improvement. 



When life outside the work seem to lie between the facebook posts or tweets or linked-in updates, it is important for every one of us to understand the importance of reaching out.



I'd thank my school for allowing an opportunity to reach out as many departments and students and also to a friend of mine, who helped me in doing so. 



All said, I am still a consultant and grooming myself to be a better one, inspite of .. 6 years after MBA!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now...why Marry in the first place?

Caste & misinterpretation of religious scriptures!

Blast in Hyderabad!!